Having made a few lots of yogurt now, I just wanted to reflect on my experiences. The first few times I tried I made the mistake of reading a recipe and doing what it said! The problem we had, especially in England and especially in our unheated house, is that we cant keep the culture at a high enough temperature to allow it to do its thing.
So after a few goes of ending up with sloppy milk I put it on hold.
Then one day, my partner came home with one of these:-
and bang ! the dirt has gone,
Sorry wrong advert!
So anyway, a very quick look around the internet, and .. found this link
so I tweaked the recipe I used 1 litre of semi skimmed milk, a medium sized saucepan, fortunately I had a meat thermometer around. I put the milk on and timed it to 10 minutes to check the temperature. It only needed about another 5-7 minutes to get up to 90c – that’s new money, I let it creep over a degree or two. I found I had to stir it continuously to get an accurate reading from the thermometer. Then, being in England and with it being night time and in winter, I took the covered saucepan out and put it in the garden. Again giving myself an alarm call in 10 minutes I found the liquid had coolled to the required 43c.
I used Total 0% fat yogurt, and put two desert spoons into the cooled milk. Using a whisk I roughly whisked it. It wasn’t my finest hour. Then pouring the liquid into the “yogurt” jar, I put water into the yogurt maker and ensured it was around 40-45c before putting the yogurt jar into the flask and securing the lid. This was then left alone in one place overnight for about 8-10 hours.
After which I had one of these:
And even better, it changed to :
|This has added fruit in with it||This has fruit added in with it|